Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My workbox 'schedule strip'


So much has changed, I haven't blogged in a really long time :( but I'm looking forward to it again. 2 of my girls are looking forward to school in the fall. DD14 is in an arts program at a Catholic school. And dd16 is in a French immersion program.

So I am left with dd9 at home, rising 5th grader.

I have used modified workboxes with her since the beginning. The system hasn't really changed for us a whole bunch.  I changed which drawers I used, but over all, it's the same. Each subject has a drawer to go into, it's static, doesn't change much day to day.

What is evolving though, is how things are planned. The velcro tags just aren't working for us. My littles thieve them!! LOL  So I got to thinking... how does dd9 work? What makes her thrive? What does she enjoy?

She loves lists. I can give her a chore list, and she is SO happy. Not to do chores, as much as to have a list to tackle.

But a list of assignments with details can seem so daunting... so how can I break it down?

This is what I came up with. Thanks to Pinterest! I'm a Pinterest addict, I admit it!

First I found this blog: Sugardoodle - it has a template to print on sticky notes. I must have pinned this a year ago. Neat idea, but really, what would I use it for.

Since I want dd9 to be working efficiently, knowing when to get me as it's a work with me, but be prepared to work with me when needed.  We have littles in the house, who need me too, so the more prepared SHE is, the easier it is to get right to it. I needed to figure something out.

I create my own planner on my computer,  it's easy to use the sticky note template to transfer directions with slight modifications for her.

Step 1: Print template:



Step 2: Add sticky notes:


you might notice I wrote 'top' on the templates as they aren't vertically centered. Just a little something to make life easier.


Step 3: Added in the lesson plans/instructions and printed on the sticky notes.



 Step 4:

 I was going to decorate a folder and have it laminated, but we found these folders at Dollarama, and they are heavy duty. 15 sturdy folders for $2.... can't beat that price! And I'm all about saving where I can for sure.

I placed the printed sticky notes on the left side of the folder, she can transfer to the right side as she completes them.

How we use it:

I think this assignment folder is the best of both worlds, in my universe, anyway. It's interactive like the velcro tags. Remove from one side, and place on the other.  She will see the 'list' physically diminish, more apparent than just a check mark on a list. Less fuss than all the schedule strips nothing for the littles to thieve, but doubles as a schedule strip, too. It's flexible, it can include more than just school work, but assistance in planning, time management, chores and anything else she wants. We can add reminders to call friends, make plans, etc.  She has been upset when she intends to call a friend and later forgets, she can start using either the folder or her agenda - with a note to check it, to help with these things. Essentially a daily planner in a folder.

I am really liking how this idea is shaping up!

 The labels are marked 'Things to Do'(on the left) and 'Assignments completed'(on the right). I am adding circles marked 1-2-3-4-5.  That way, how I order and organize the planner is also apparent to her.

 The first 3 stickies on the left are Monday planning - Getting ready for the day, setting up for Monday meetings - she has a couple online courses that she needs to check in to get assignments and see if she has any Elives to participate in, and then a meeting with me - where we'll mark it in her weekly folder(another post for another day) and plug into her alarms of her iPad, as a reminder. My older girls were terrible for forgetting those. They do record them, but attending it  live allows for some interaction.

The next 5 stickies are below are the things that don't require a lot of instructions - in this case, get out spelling lesson 8, and get mom, get out math, pgs 12-13 and get mom. etc. In the right column, there is a reminder to go burn off some energy, trampoline for 10 minutes, helps us refocus, then there is a couple larger stickies, for 2 more subjects. And the final blue note is after school chores.

I will  have her transfer stickies to the right side as she is completed, so I can sit down later - during nap time, or in the evening - and record things in my planner completed, grade anything that needs it and set up for the next day. It offers so much flex. If I have a sick day, it means those things with mom, won't get put in her folder, or if they are, she just leaves them for the next day. If we go off on a tangent and spend a whole day doing science, no biggie, the others will just stay where they are until the next day. My planner is set up with that same flexibility, but that is another post for another day.

Funny how a few years experience changes everything :)

Have a wonderful day!!


4 comments:

  1. HI- I really love this idea. Thanks for posting! I believe this will definitely help my dd age 13. She has outgrew the shoebox method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea! Very well planned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I see you homeschooled first then sent yours to traditional schools. I flipped mine. My kids started in traditional schools and I'm homeschooling them for late elementary, Middle and one only homeschooled for 1 yr of high school before I graduated her. Like your spin on the workboxes. I have a 4th grader. http://homeschoolandwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nita, actually, our journey plans never included homeschool. All the kids went to either Catholic school or public schools. DD16 only homeschooled one year, DD14 has been home past 3.5 years and is headed to school. DD9 has been home 3.5 years and is continuing the homeschool journey. We're eclectic. DS19 never homeschooled full-time, but did do some courses at home to get them completed sooner. He finished high school in 4 semesters.

      Delete